The 2023 WNY Young Performers Showcase
The goal is to give talent from the Western New York region - beginners to advanced - the opportunity to show off their skills and win a chance to be seen by industry professionals.
Important Showcase Information
- The Young Performers Showcase has been an annual event for over 18 years.
- It is sponsored by Personal Best Talent which was established in 1989 in Buffalo, NY. Our mission is to recognize local talent by providing up to $1000.00 in cash awards and $10,000 worth of partial scholarships to the International Model and Talent Competition (IMTA).
- Participant is not required to attend IMTA and can just pick up their monetary award.
- Winners can use their IMTA scholarship to attend one IMTA
- There is no entry fee to perform the ONE talent of choice.*
*If a participant wants to be considered in more than one talent (which is not a requirement) there will be a $35 fee for the second entry. Contestants, however, can only win cash or scholarship money for one of those talents.
- This annual competition is for singers, dancers, actors and models. Ages of contestants will vary from 6 years to adult, depending on the category chosen.
- Please refer to the specific category information for talent requirements.
- Review requirement page for the specific talent category you’re interested in.
- Fill out a brief application online.
- Personal Best Talent will contact you with additional information related to the talent category and competition once the application is received.
- Participants must first compete in the in-person preliminary competition.
- In-person prelims will be held in the evening the week of October 16 at Personal Best Talent located at 3653 Harlem Rd, Buffalo, N.Y. 14215.
- Prelims will be by appointment only. Appointments can be scheduled HERE.
- If you are chosen as a finalist, you must compete in-person on Sunday evening October 23rd at The Village Meeting House Theater located at 5565 Main Street, Williamsville, NY 14221.
- Finalists will be notified by e-mail or phone on or before Thursday, October 20th.
- A group of judges will decide the participants that will compete in the Finals.
If chosen as a finalist, you must compete in person on Sunday afternoon November 19th atThe Village Meeting House Theater located at 5658 Main Street Williamsville, NY 14221
- If you have won the Young Performer Showcase in the past and have collected a cash award, you are not eligible to receive one again.
- However, you can compete for the IMTA scholarships.
- This requirement has been put in place by the cash award donor’s trust.
- A cash winner cannot receive the monetary award unless they meet in- person with Susan Makai within 60 days of Final Young Performer Showcase performances.
- If there are any questions after carefully reviewing all the information above and the rules in the category section of each talent, then please contact Susan Makai (by e-mail only) at email@example.com.
- Do not wait until the last minute to submit your virtual prelim entry. If there is an issue, the time spent resolving it will be factored in a Contestant’s final score.
- If you can make the in-person prelim on Saturday, it would be to your advantage. However, it is not a requirement as your point of view and safety are most important.
BROWSE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR:
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACTING SUBMISSION
This competition category is open to ages 6 – 25 years.
- Participants will prepare and perform a monologue that is 60-90 seconds
- Participants 6 to 9 years old can present a TV commercial that is 30-60 seconds long, if they prefer.
- Perform a monologue and/or commercial from our suggested list which can be found HERE.
- If you’d like to select your own monologue or commercial to perform, please remember that it should be age appropriate and in good taste.
- Performance ability
REQUIREMENTS FOR DANCE SUBMISSION
- This competition category is open to ages 8-18 years.REQUIREMENTS:
- Participants must submit a video no longer than 2 minutes of a solo dance performance. Please submit video of your dance by e-mailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The performance, including wardrobe/costume should be in good taste and age appropriate.
- Dancers can choose any type of dance they are comfortable performing.
Cut off date for submission is Tuesday November 14th- we will notify you within a day if you will competeon Sunday November 19th.
Those selected for the Finals will perform their solo dance on stage for the judges.
- Dance ability and technique
- Audience appeal
- Stage presence
REQUIREMENTS FOR MODELING SUBMISSION
This competition category is open to ages 6 years – adult.
- Participants will submit a recent full-length (8” x 10”) photo of themselves.
**Photo can be taken by a family member/friend or by a professional photographer.
- Participants will present their best runway walk to upbeat background music (music provided).
- Participants will present a one minute speech about themselves at the Young Performers Showcase finals November 19th..
- Runway walk
- Sense of fashion style
- Speaking ability and personality
REQUIREMENTS FOR SINGER SUBMISSION
This competition category is open to ages 8-18 years.
- Participants will perform a song no longer than 90 seconds.
- Song choice should be age appropriate and in good taste.
- It should be performed by one person and can be sung to background music or acapella.
Participants should submit a video of them singing and send to email@example.com
Must be sent no later than Tuesday November 14th.
We will let you know if you will perform on November 19th within a day of submission.
**Participants must bring their own background music on a mobile phone
with Bluetooth capability.
- Singing ability
- Interpretation style
- Stage presence